BC Law Institute Announces Changes on the Board of Directors
October 11, 2018
BY Kathleen Cunningham
On September 12th, the BC Law Institute held its Annual General Meeting and is pleased to announce the executive committee for 2018-2019:
- Thomas L. Spraggs, Chair
- Andrea Rolls, Vice Chair
- Margaret H. Mason Q.C., Treasurer
- Oliver Fleck, Secretary
- Lisa A. Peters Q.C., Past Chair
BCLI is pleased to welcome to the Board Dr Elizabeth Adjin-Tettey, the appointee of the Dean of the Faculty of Law at the University of Victoria. BCLI also welcomes back to the board as a member at large, the Honourable Marion J. Allan. Ms Allan has a long history with the BCLI and CCEL. Members also extended the appointment of member at large Andrea Rolls to September 2019. Ms Rolls chaired the CCEL’s advisory committee for the Older Women’s Dialogue Project, a multi-year project that sought to identify law and social policy issues that impact older women. “The commitment and support to the CCEL from both Ms Allan and Ms Rolls over the past decade have been a source of inspiration for staff and volunteers” says BCLI’s Executive Director, Kathleen Cunningham. “Their experiences and expertise continue to inform our work”.
The board also saw a number of changes this past month. BCLI expresses its sincerest gratitude to those whose terms have come to an end:
- Rosario (Tino) Di Bella: Tino’s contributions to BCLI over the past 10 years are too numerous to list. During his tenure as the appointee of the CBA BC and then the Attorney General for BC, he served as Treasurer, Chair, and Past Chair and sat on the Executive Committee, Audit Risk and Finance Committee and Strategic Planning Committee. He also also a member of three project committees: The Wills, Estates and Succession project, the Common Law Tests of Capacity project and Probate Rules Reform.
- Prof. Robert G Howell: Professor Howell was appointed by the Dean of the Faculty of Law at the University of Victoria from 2008 to 2018. In addition to serving on two project committees, Real Property Law Reform and Employment Standards Act Reform, he was a member of the Audit, Risk and Finance Committee and the Program Committee.
- Hon. Kenneth C. Mackenzie, Q.C., S.J.D.: Justice Mackenzie is a retired Justice of the Court of Appeal, British Columbia. Mr. MacKenzie was appointed as a member at large to the BCLI Board in 2012. During his term he served on the Nominating Committee and Chaired the Program Committee.
“All three of these members contributed many years of sage advice and support to the work of the BCLI and CCEL” notes Executive Director, Kathleen Cunningham.
Finally, the BCLI announces the appointments of Professor Joost Blom Q.C. and Professor Robert G. Howell as members emeritus. In these non-voting roles, each will continue to provide guidance and assistance to BCLI and its committees.
In her annual report to members, Ms. Peters highlighted the many milestones of the past year including: 5 completed projects, 4 projects commenced, 4 publications, 1 National Elder Law conference and attendance at the 100th Anniversary Annual meeting of the Uniform Law Conference of Canada.
“I wish to thank Lisa A. Peters Q.C. for her dedication and commitment to the board during her tenure as Board Chair over the past two years” says Incoming Chair Thomas L. Spraggs. “I look forward to working with the staff and board as BCLI and CCEL continue their important work in legal research and law reform.”
BCLI is the successor to BC’s Law Reform Commission. Established in 1997, the BCLI celebrated its 20th anniversary as an independent, non-partisan law reform agency and registered charity. In 2018 the BCLI is celebrating the 15th anniversary of the Canadian Centre for Elder Law (CCEL)