Executive and Board Changes Following BCLI’s Annual General Meeting
September 23, 2014
BY British Columbia Law Institute
The British Columbia Law Institute held its Annual General Meeting on September 17, 2014, laying the foundation for another year of comprehensive research and law reform work.
With the AGM, several changes to the BCLI executive has been implemented:
- We welcome Professor Joost Blom, Q.C., as the new Chair of BCLI. Professor Blom is a longstanding Member at Large of BCLI. He is Chair of the Program Committee and has been Vice-chair since 2012. Professor Blom has long experience as Dean and professor at the UBC Faculty of Law.
- We also welcome Lisa Peters as Vice-chair of BCLI. Ms. Peters has been a Member at Large of BCLI since 2010 and has served as Treasurer and Chair of the Audit, Finance and Risk Committee since 2012. Ms. Peters leads the research and opinions department of Lawson Lundell LLP.
- We also welcome Thomas Spraggs as Treasurer of BCLI. The Treasurer is usually appointed the Chair of the Audit, Finance and Risk Committee. Appointed by the Attorney General, BC, Mr. Spraggs has been a member of the Board since 2012. Mr. Spraggs practices law in Coquitlam through Spraggs & Co., a personal injury law firm.
- The term of Hon. Kenneth Mackenzie, Q.C., S.J.D., Member at Large, has been extended to September 2018. First appointed to BCLI in 2012, Mr. Mackenzie was an associate professor, UBC Faculty of Law, a member of the B.C. Law Reform Commission, a Justice, B.C Supreme Court from 1992 to 1998, and of the Court of Appeal, British Columbia, from 1998 to 2011.
- Kevin Zakreski, BCLI staff lawyer since 2003, will continue as Secretary.
- Ending his term as Chair is R.C. (Tino) Di Bella. First appointed by the Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch, Mr. Di Bella has been a member of BCLI since 2008 and Chair since 2012. He served on the Audit, Finance and Risk Committee from 2009 to 2014 and was Treasurer and Chair of the Audit, Finance and Risk Committee from 2009 to 2010. Mr. Di Bella will continue on the Board as an appointee of the Attorney General, BC. Mr. Di Bella practices law in Victoria with the law firm Jawl & Bundon.
BCLI is most grateful for the substantial contributions made by Mr. Di Bella as Chair.
Respecting his new term as Chair, Mr. Blom, Q.C. commented, “I am looking forward to working with the new executive, board, and staff in the continued excellent work of BCLI in legal research, law reform, publication and outreach.”
The British Columbia Law Institute strives to be a leader in law reform by carrying out the best in scholarly legal research and law reform work and the best in outreach and education relating to law reform.
Contact: Jim Emmerton, Executive Director
(604) 822 0145